Re: doing both NAT and DR, I need help.

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: doing both NAT and DR, I need help.
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:41:08 -0400 (EDT)
Ok.  Here's a layout of basically how it setup

                internet

                64.204.99.1 (network providers router)

                  switch

real server 1                   lvs machine             real server 2
RIP (10.100.50.247)          RIP (64.204.99.249)        RIP (10.100.50.246)
lo:0 (64.204.99.240)         VIP (64.204.99.240)        lo:0 (64.204.99.240)
default gw 64.204.99.1                          default gw 64.204.99.1
static arp entry                                        static arp entry
for the router,                                         for the router,
64.204.99.1                                             64.204.99.1

real server 3 (which is not to be load balanced)
RIP (10.100.50.245)

The problem is real server 1,2,3 cannot get to the internet which is a
requirement.  Basically because these machines don't really have a real ip
address at all, so for them to get out, they need to be NAT's at some
point.

What I thought you be possible is to set up a route or some type of rule
that says if traffic originates from 10.100.50.0/24, instead of using the
default gw, 64.204.99.1, go through 64.204.99.249 and be masqeraded, but
at thew same time if traffic originates from elsewhere and gets passed
from the LVS machine's VIP, then use the default gw and use DR instead.

So I could masq and use DR for important traffic all at the same time.

I hope this clears things up.  My original email was pretty misleading.

Thanks
-jeremy

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>

> > I have a situation where I'm using DR, but I need to NAT *some*
> > traffic.
> >
> > I have the lvs server setup with real ip's, but all the real servers are
> > using internal addresses.  I'm using DR, so the real servers are actually
> > using the real ip of my upstream providers router, I'm statically
> > assigning the mac address of the router to the real servers.
>
> I don't understand the last two sentences. (I assume the router is the box
> connecting your public network to the ISP). But lets put that aside for
> the moment.
>
> The VIP is a routable IP, so clients on the internet can send packets to
> the LVS. The real-servers will also have the VIP on them, so they can send
> replies to the client. The RIPs on the real-servers and the network
> connecting the director to the real-servers can be anything you like,
> including non-routable IPs (ie 192.168.x.x).
>
> Can you explain your problem again saying why this framework won't work
> in your case.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx