Re: HTTPS and cookies

To: Trevor Marshall <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HTTPS and cookies
Cc: Linux Virtual Server Mail List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Benjamin Lee <benjaminlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 05:58:56 +1100
Trevor, see inserted comments below...

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 06:44:26PM +0000, Trevor Marshall wrote:
> Client1 connects from AOL and is routed to RIP1
> Client2 connects from AOL before Client1's session times out, so Client2 is
> routed to RIP1.

Yes. However the distinction must be made that a 'session' in LVS connection
affinity is NOT related to 'sessions' as created by HTTP cookies.

> The cookies can then be sent to ensure the two users' sessions aren't
> crossed?

See above.

> I'm sorry Joseph's  1999 lvs-howto gave me the impression that ppc used
> source port in routing decisions, or is the current version of ipvs not
> using ppc.

The connection affinity is done on source info. That is why in the case of
client network using NAT -- many clients can be sent to the same server.

However, the PPC may be setup on rules containing both source and dest info.

> Regardless, won't some ISPs swap the masquarade on their outgoing
> connections as part of their own load-balancing? and couldn't this allow a
> client to connect to the wrong Real Server mid-session?

See session distinction above.

Trevor, do a quick search on google.com for HTTP cookies. You'll find getting
background info on them invaluable.

Cheers,
Ben

--
B.      http://b.makelinux.org/      "Keep it real."
Nonsense and beauty have close connections.