RE: HTTPS and cookies

To: "Linux Virtual Server Mail List" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HTTPS and cookies
From: "Clint Byrum" <cbyrum@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:16:03 -0800

This got me wondering... Why does persitance matter to cookies? If you're
keeping sessions, wouldn't you just store the info in a shared database and
be done with it? The same shared database that your dynamic content comes
from, could be used to store the session information.

Lets not get into the HA aspects, but just load balancing. If one could turn
off persistance, one would not have the problem of the thousands of AOL(or
large corporate organization) users sharing a proxy hammering one server. I
know Slashdot uses 3 Debian web servers, pointing at one RedHat MySQL
server(strangely, they don't use LVS or BigIP, but someone else's hardware
solution). Doesn't this sound like the best idea?

> > The cookies can then be sent to ensure the two users' sessions aren't
> > crossed?
>
> See above.
>
> > I'm sorry Joseph's  1999 lvs-howto gave me the impression that ppc used
> > source port in routing decisions, or is the current version of ipvs not
> > using ppc.

<snip>