Re: Which Hardware for Director

To: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Which Hardware for Director
Cc: Klaus Thiele <kth@xxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 08:19:22 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Horms wrote:

> The key factors you need to take into account are:
>
>   * The more packets/s you expect the more CPU power you will need.

Would 2.4 be a better solution, doesn't it have better networking code?
Would multi-processor help on the director?

>   * The more simultaneous connections you expect the more memory you will need

The RAM requirements are hard coded into the kernel when you build the
module right?

>   * Network bandwidth is usually a limitation.

For web serving the inbound bandwidth is tiny compared to the outbound so
a 100MB NIC should be plenty

> With that in mind I would say the system you have would be a good start,
> but of course you should do some cpacity testing before you put
> it into production.

Does anyone have any stats for this? CPUxRAMxNIC = x/connections/sec.  I'm
assuming a 133Mhz FSB would improve things a bit as well.

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com