Re: Which Hardware for Director

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Which Hardware for Director
Cc: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ard van Breemen <ard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:13:24 +0100
On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 09:00:24AM -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Horms wrote:
> > > The key factors you need to take into account are:
> > >   * The more packets/s you expect the more CPU power you will need.
> > Would 2.4 be a better solution, doesn't it have better networking code?
> > Would multi-processor help on the director?
> only if you are CPU bound. Routing (VS-DR) doesn't take noticable CPU
> power till you are running a Gbps network.
Ok, to take a good example:
In our VS-DR setup, using 64k html pages, our 100Mb switch is clearly
the bottleneck, cause it seems to have a 100Mb backbone, ie: serving
to multiple clients still totals 9Mbyte/s, thus 150 reques/s
The other bottleneck (using 64 byte pages) is not clear yet, but
probably has to do with delays etc... Tuning the webserver definetaly
helps to get > 2200 requests/s with 4 servers of which one is a
loadbalancer... (throuhput of about 500kbytes/s).

--
Ard van Breemen, T(elegraaf)E(lektronische)M(edia)
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html