How to manage External Storage?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: How to manage External Storage?
From: Benyamin.Wongprasert@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:58:41 +0700
Hi all,
I want some suggestion about my external storage & filesystem.
I have 1 external storage(Compaq Raid Array 4100) connected 2 linux
server(Compaq Proliant ML530) via fibre channel.
I mount the same patition to both server
[root@LINUX1 /root]# more /etc/fstab
/dev/ida/c0d0p1         /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/ida/c0d0p5         /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/ida/c0d0p6         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               /ra4100/lun1            ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda2               /ra4100/lun2            ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda3               /ra4100/lun3            ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda4               /ra4100/lun4            ext2    defaults        0 0
[root@LINUX2 /root]# more /etc/fstab
/dev/ida/c0d0p1         /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/ida/c0d0p5         /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/ida/c0d0p6         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               /ra4100/lun1            ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda2               /ra4100/lun2            ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda3               /ra4100/lun3            ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda4               /ra4100/lun4            ext2    defaults        0 0
when I copy file to the external storage by using server #1(LINUX1) and
then 'ls -l' I can see the file
but I can't see the file immediately when I see from LINUX2.I must unmount
& mount it before.
1.What should I do If I want to see the files that create by the other
server immediately? and What the filesystem that I must use?

when I copy file to the external storage by using LINUX1 and also copy
another file to the external storage by using LINUX2 at the
same patition(same mount point)
          LINUX1                         LINUX2
          copy a.txt to /ra4100/lun1          copy b.txt to /ra4100/lun1
'ls' will see  a.txt                          b.txt
If I unmount & mount the /ra4100/lun1 at LINUX1 first, the file a.txt will
be lost
'ls' will see  b.txt                          b.txt
and If I unmount & mount the /ra4100/lun1 at LINUX2 first, the file b.txt
will be lost
'ls' will see  a.txt                          a.txt
2.How can I prevent this error? 'my file is very important'. If It lost
maybe my boss will fine me! :-(
I plan to use piranha (FOS) if I can't mount the same patition at the same
time.I think I will use piranha to activate the patition at a time.
Anyone have any comment and suggestion please reply this mail....
Thanks a lot :-)
Benyamin W.