Re: Can M$ Win 2000 be a Real Server ?

To: Wenzhuo Zhang <wenzhuo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can M$ Win 2000 be a Real Server ?
Cc: 2598 [·s³Ó9¯] <2598@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:23:14 +0100
Hi,

> I reached this conclusion when I was setting up a 2-node NT (SP5 and
> SP6, Chinese version) cluster a week ago. After a couple more of

Though China doesn't allow M$ products anymore ;)

> tests, I have to say this is only partially correct (i.e. false ;).
> Now I'd like to modify my previous statement a bit. :)

Let's denote RIP's subnet as A, and VIP's subnet as B.

I assume you're talking about VS-DR.

> If A > B, hosts in B will not be able to connect to the real servers
>         (RIPs of course).

Why would you do something like this? By stating A > B, I
assume you mean the netmask bits.

> If A = B, subnet route A takes precedence, so it works fine.

this is how you should do it.

> If A < B, hosts in B but not in A will not be able to connect to the
> realservers.
>
> Setting VIP's subnet to the same as that of the RIPs seems to be the
> ideal choice, in which case, RIP's subnet route takes precedence.

Exactly! Just do it this way and you're safe. The rest just gets
you a headache ;)

> Anyway, MS NT is confusing.

This is a very nice way of describing it ;) I'm happy that I don't
have to work with it [OT].

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--