Re: LVS alternatives

To: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS alternatives
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:33:31 +0100
John Cronin wrote:

> > Vladimir Dzhuvinov wrote:
> >
> > > Is LVS the only in its class? Are there any alternatives, let's say
> > > Server Cluster(ing) from Sun or Sgi?
> >
> > LVS is a layer 4 switch. There are several commercial L4 switches.
> > LVS is the only GPL'ed L4 switch.
>
> This is correct.  Examples of commercial Layer 4 switches are Foundry
> ServerIron and Cisco LocalDirector.
>
> http://www.foundrynetworks.com/products/Webswitches.html
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/ca4840g.htm
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/ibsw/mulb/prodlit/mnlb_ov.htm
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/tech/aslb_wp.htm

Oh, you may go up to Level 7 and there are a dozen more, f.e:
http://www.f5.com                 [BigIP]
http://www.alteonwebsystems.com/  [ACEdirector***]
and they all have their traditional way of being extremely
expensive and sucking.

Don't take me too serious here. I just tested all of them and
was quite some times very disappointed. This mostly was a mixture
between lack of thorough knowledge and disfunctionality of some
systems. Security is covered by a massive backplane and multiple
processors (ACE have up to 20 RISC 80Mhz processors) so a denial
of service attack can't bring such a device on it's knees. However
some of those also had wrong TCP/IP implementations in a earlier
phase.

Just my 0.02 $.
Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz