Re: LVS and another DOS defense strategy

To: ja@xxxxxx, anush@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS and another DOS defense strategy
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Lorn Kay" <lorn_kay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:59:24 -0000

> What do you think about the suggestion by Lorn Kay, of doing the same
> with netfilter? It sort of becomes
> the real server's defense.

        How is that related to LVS?

> Thanks
> Anush

I was wondering if this project could provide a method to dynamically update the netfilter's ipchains/iptable based on threshold values set by user commands.

For example, could you use all of the usual options for ACCEPT or DENY in your firewall rules and add to one of the ACCEPT rules to dynamically set values: "ACKs per Second" or something like this. (For the ACCEPT rule being used to allow HTTP requests for the VIP).

That way you could say "set forward mark = 200 when ACKs per second on the VIP exceedes my threshold value" on the Director.

If it is in ipchains only then you could add these firewall rules to DR/TUN Real Servers as well I suppose...

Yes, not really an LVS issue, but you could then use fwmark rules to send these DOS packets (or any other suspicious FWMARKed packets) on to an isolated/non-production Real Server that you don't really care what happens to.

-K