Re: regarding LVS for DIRECT ROUTING configuration

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: regarding LVS for DIRECT ROUTING configuration
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:56:42 +0100
On 2000-11-20T14:54:51,
   Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx> said:

> Probably the single most often questions asked here are based on wierd
> errors that come from people doing multiple patches and not understanding
> what they've done.

People not reading manuals will not be easily cured.

> This is a large load on the mailing list and has stretched my patience
> with RedHat.

I don't agree - what these people do will not work for _any_ patch, not just
LVS. If the distribution shipped reiserfs included, and they tried to patch
a newer release of reiserfs into that, that will break too.

> I really would like you to reconsider this. Having 2 distributions that
> don't work for LVS would be more than I could bear. Could you instead
> include in the menuconfig scripts a routine that applies an LVS patch -
> anything
> that will allow someone to patch your kernel with the current LVS patch.

Very unlikely. You have to understand that a kernel shipped by a distribution
is patched with around ~100 patches or even more, so you can't "just apply" a
patch as downloaded and expect it to fit in perfectly.

It would also be a nightmare to support, and compiling a kernel with all the
necessary patches merged on their own is beyond the ability of most users.

And we also want to have LVS available as a default component on a SuSE
system, so we have to include it in our kernel.

Having LVS included will work fine for most people and ease their lifes. LVS
is at 1.0.0 now, so that makes a reasonable good time to include it in a
distribution.

I would suggest that a specific comment is added to the LVS docs, about how
you cannot just expect to be able to patch LVS into your distribution kernel
without any problem, and that special care must be taken to make sure you
apply and merge all the patches necessary.

The best thing for the masses really is to have the distributions provide the
kernel with LVS included, and provide an updated kernel if LVS fixes a
significant bug.

(Most of the above comments apply to any distribution)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl