Re: performance NAT versus DR ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: performance NAT versus DR ?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:34:21 -0500
On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 12:38:36AM +0100, Alois Treindl wrote:
> Hi
>
> I will be setting up a LVS with one directore, 100 mbit Internet
> connection, and four web servers.
>
> I want to use the director also as a packet filtering firewall, with two
> interfaces.  I have not enough funds and see no real need for an extra
> "real" firewall.
>
> As far as I understand it, DR would not have a performance advantage in
> that case over NAT, because all outgoing packets of from the realservers
> stil have to pass the director/firewall.

[snip]

My (informed) oppinion is that the main performance advantage of using DR
over NAT is derived from return traffic not having to return through the
box. If you are using 100Mb/s networking then NAT sould easily be
able to cope with this. You will probably incur a _slight_ latency penalty
but I doubt that this will be a problem. If I was you I would use
NAT as it is going to be a lot easier to set up and should run more
than fast enough for your needs.

If you are really worried about performance you should look into:

  * Gigabit NICs
  * Using 64bit/66MHz PCI bus (instead of 32bit/33MHz)
  * Using the 2.4 kernel instead of 2.2

However, you won't see any real performance gains unless you are worried
about more than 100Mb/s of _sustained_ traffic.

DR is a nice way to get more than 100Mb/s of traffic on a network that is
only 100Mb/s but has more external bandwidth than that. If all your traffic
is going through a firewall with 2 100Mb/s NICs then this doesn't apply to
your configuration. Hence, you are better off using NAT.

--
Horms