Re: performance NAT versus DR ?

To: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance NAT versus DR ?
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:37:55 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Kyle Sparger wrote:

> For example, NAT can 'see' if a real server responds to a packet it's been
> sent or not, since it's watching all of the traffic anyway.  And if it
> doesn't respond within a certain period of time, it can automatically
> route that packet to another server.  AFAIK, LVS doesn't support this
> right now, but, NAT would be the more likely candidate to support it in
> the future, as NAT understands all of the IP layer concepts, and DR
> doesn't necessarily.

        Someone must put back the real server when it is alive. This
sounds like a user space job. The traffic will not start until we send
requests. We have to send L4 probes to the real server (from the user
space) or to probe it with requests (LVS from kernel space)?

> Kyle Sparger

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>