Re: performance NAT versus DR ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: performance NAT versus DR ?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:57:44 -0500
Kyle Sparger wrote:

> > of packets being sent from the real-server.
>
> The benefeit is far rarer than I anticipated.  Most interesting.  Thanks
> for educating me :)

it was a bit of a surprise to me too. You don't need an LVS to test this.
You can see it with netpipe between 2 nodes on a quiet line. You can't
get 100Mbps till the packet size reaches the mtu, sending packets
as fast as the CPU can send them.

> The 100MBit ethernet MTU is fixed at 1500, but what if the back-end
> servers MTU is higher on layer three?

well I guess the ACK for the new MTU would take longer too :-)

 Or if there is little or no ACK
> traffic -- say you're using UDP, for example?

now that's an idea, save acks till a timeout or max_packets=10
and then send them in 1 packet. Do delayed ACKs come close to doing this?