Re: problem/feature query in ip_vs

To: "John P . Looney" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problem/feature query in ip_vs
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:48:18 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, John P . Looney wrote:

>  Hi - I was wondering if it's possible to make failover more seemless. At
> the moment, I have mon setup, polling services every few seconds.
>
>  However, if a service goes down, and incoming new connections for a few
> seconds get a "connection refused", until mon can change the ip_vs tables
> with ipvsadm.

        Hm, what kind of service likes very much to die? May be you
stop the service without excluding it from the cluster (or setting the
weight to 0)? You are talking for buggy services or for bad cluster
software?

>  Is there a reason that no one has put some login in the kernel to "try
> open the connection, if it's there, then let it through, otherwise go onto
> the next one", like Cisco Local Directors do ?

        That sounds like a kernel space proxy server. Such setup
works for NAT mode only?

> Kate
>
> --
>  When I say 'free', I mean 'free': free from bond, of chain or command:
> to go where you will, even to Mordor, Saruman, if you desire. "
>     -- Gandalf, paraphrasing the choice between Free and Non-free software

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>