Re: problem/feature query in ip_vs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: problem/feature query in ip_vs
From: "John P . Looney" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:19:56 +0000
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:27:29AM +0100, Lars Marowsky-Bree mentioned:
> The best option really is:
> - drop the error reply on the first packet, and deallocate any persistence
>   which might have been set for that server (removing the server from the list
>   of real servers might work nicely)
>   This should be an additional flag for VS/NAT services.
>
> - have monitoring do that in case the server silently dies.

 We were thinking about this.

 How about getting the router to use netfilter to never send icmp
"connection refused" or "port unreachable" packets (whatever they are
called).

 So, if someone connects in when the server has just gone down, they will
hear nothing. TCP will do an exponetial backoff, and retry - and will
eventually get a real host.

 Also - when a host dies, and it's entries are removed with ipvsadm, is
ip_vs smart enough to remove entries of connections that still think they
are alive from it's hash tables ?

Kate

--
 When I say 'free', I mean 'free': free from bond, of chain or command:
to go where you will, even to Mordor, Saruman, if you desire. "