RE: Introduction and LVS/DR 2.4 realserver questions

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Introduction and LVS/DR 2.4 realserver questions
From: "Rajiv Khaneja" <RajivK@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 01:14:31 -0800
Johan,
"In a dedicated database setup we have big problems running over 500
connections to MySQL."

You shouldn't have a problem with this... MySQL can handle well over that
given a good amount of ram and processing power.

Let me tell you about our setup and hopefully it will help you make a better
decision.

Two LVS directors mon+heartbeat+lvs
6 Web Servers (512mb ram + 733 Mhz)
2 DB Servers (1 GB ram + 866) in Hot Replication (active/active)

We serve aprox 280 million page views per month off this setup and MySQL
does avg 1,200 quieries per second.

About serving static images, there is a web server, khttpd, that can be
compiled into the kernel to serve static pages.  Very efficient.  Just have
all your images hosted at images.yourdomain.com or use a different port.

"One scenario could be that the load balancer would look at the requests and
direct all /images/* to the static virtual server. I know that some
loadbalancers can do that, how about LVS?"

I don't know if LVS can do this but if it can it would require LVS to read
HTTP request hearders and really slow things down.  IMHO no realy point.

Regards,
Rajiv Khaneja