Re: SV: Introduction and LVS/DR 2.4 realserver questions

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SV: Introduction and LVS/DR 2.4 realserver questions
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:02:33 +0100
Hi Johan,

> An impression is a loaded banner, and we have one banner per page (that we
> count). So in our case one impression is one pageview.
> We have about 12 hits (requests) per pageview, so that would be 25M+(12*25M)
> = 325 million hits/requests per month.

Ok, that sounds more reasonable.

> Thanks for the info, yes we're running SCSI on the realservers and i haven't
> checked if the driver is working on 2.4 yet, so it might be a good idea to
> wait for a while.

Yet a better idea is to check now on a testmachine if it works correctly
for you. But I guess you want to run some jfs and ext2 on the servers,
don't you? Just try it out before you switch to 2.2. However I really
recommend you to use the 2.4.x kernel series for a webserver and TUX 2.0
and maybe the newest released zerocopy patches, they are included now in
the ac-tree. For the LVS I recommend the 2.2.x kernel with the 1.0.5 patch.

> Ok, here's another attempt:

Last two questions before I will send you the network I have in mind
for you:
o Where are the webservers?
o What is the VFS and what is its purpose?

> Router 1 has a limit of 4 Mbit
> VFS1 is the virtual file server

I hope you don't mean the LVS.

> FS1-4 are the real file servers

Great, so far so good ...

> Basicly what i want is to load balance between the file servers but put all
> load on FS1 & FS2 until the bandwidth usage on Router 1 is up at 4Mbit, then
> start using FS3 & FS4 aswell. The load on this cluster is rapidly changing
> so it won't work to put static weigths in the scheduler (at low traffic
> Location 1 would be able to take all traffic but at high traffic 4Mbit isn't
> enough).

I have something in mind, but I first need the answers.

> I figure i could have a cron job get the bandwidth usage out of router 1 and
> adjust the wieghts for FS3&4 in some way...
> Comments are very welcome :)

I think you won't need this.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz