Re: FTP

To: Jon Burford <jburford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FTP
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:22:55 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Jon Burford wrote:

> OK, I have been tinkering with FTP load balancing and have had no luck.  My
> setup is:
>
> 2.4.0 kernel cleanly patched with the 4 diff files included with ipvs-0.2.5
> iptables 1.2

> I have intentionally made my iptables and ipvsadm rules as simple as
> possible since I
> am just testing things on an internal net (as indicated by the addressing).
> My iptables
> and ipvsadm setup is:
>
> modprobe iptables
> modprobe iptable_nat
> modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE
> modprobe ip_conntrack
> modprobe ip_nat_ftp
> modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
> insmod ip_vs.o
> insmod ip_vs_rr.o

        Where is ip_vs_ftp.o ? In 2.4 you need ip_vs_ftp.o loaded
to use NAT-ed real servers.

        The FTP command/status conn work but not the FTPDATA
connections. In these outputs I see that the command connection works.
When you start ip_vs_ftp the ftpdata connections have to work too.

> If I try the FTP again, it goes to FTP2 and then back to FTP1, etc.  So, the
> RR algorithm is working
> and packets appear to be getting sent back and forth initially.  The tcpdump
> session is from an
> ncftpget -F command (passive ftp).  I am hopping someone sees something here
> that points out the
> problem.  I could not see anything obvious in the mailing list archives.

        RTFM first :) man ipvs/ipvsadm/ipvsadm.8, search for "ftp"

> Thanks in advance!
> Jon

Regards

--