Re: network granularity with persistent fwmark

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ja@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: network granularity with persistent fwmark
Cc: mack@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:57:12 -0400
Julian Anastasov wrote:

>         Hello Joe,
>
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:
>
> > >         The current LVS versions assume the VIP is the iphdr->daddr,
> > > i.e. the destination address in the datagram and this addresses is
> > > used to lookup/create the template.
> >
> > how about your persistent-patch, which I've been working with?

I just tested it.

iptables puts fwmark=1 on any packet with

-d = IP on a NIC on outside of the director

and

--dport telnet

ipvsadm forwards by VS-DR any packets with fwmark=1

2 clients, both in the same network as the outside
of the director.

Clients also have a second NIC for receiving packets
back from real-servers.

With the default persistence granularity  (/32), each client
connects to different real-servers (but each client
goes to the same real-server each time).

With the persistence granularity =/24 both clients connect to
the same real-server (ie any number of connections from the
two clients all come to one real-server).

I assume the persistence granularity is associated with the IP
on the outside of the director.

Having persistence granularity with a VIP makes sense.

However with fwmarks it makes no sense to me (what is fwmark/24?).
What if the iptables rules are a crazy mix of targets
(networks, hosts, ports with no IP as for a transparent web cache)?

Persistence granularity was designed for people coming in from
large proxy servers (eg AOL). With fwmarks, this can be handled
by iptables rules.

Is there a function for persistence granularity with fwmark?

If you take the default persistence granularity, you
get the behaviour I expect.

(hope the easter bunny visits you on Sunday. we have the easter bilby
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bilbies/Easter_Bilby.htm where I come from)