Re: mail farm?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mail farm?
From: Greg Cope <gjjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 07:00:12 +0000
Peter Mueller wrote:

> > qmail + ezmlm + ezmlmIDX (uses MySQL, no idea if it can use Oracle)
> >

> ezmlm + ezmlmIDX are appropriate for mailings to customers?  I want the
> setup to be a mailing to customers that have signed up for our newsletter.
> It would certainly be a mistake to make it a standard-fare type list.  Is it
> possible to customize ezmlm this way?

If the newsletter is the same to all members its called an annonce only
list - i.e the announceer can only post to the list.

If the messages are unique to each member then no.

I assumed the former.

> > Why do you want to use LVS, just get a big box, qmail+ezmlm
> > can be made
> > to do lots of outbound concurrent connections (500 +) on the right
> > hardware, so you can process a huge list.
> >

> My mistake, I guess I've got these shiny new boxes setup with LVS on them
> and I wanted to go ballistic and use them everywhere. HA for us all the way!
> :)
>
> My original concept was to get 2-3 SMTP boxes and load balancing outgoing
> requests sent from somewhere to it.  I suppose the idea was too raw in my
> own head to realize that the "somewhere" is kind of important and that this
> idea wouldn't work!?

If you are going down the latter route (unique message to each member)
then you may wish to set up lots of boxes and use one to create the
message that then uses the others as relays (i.e the delieverery).  LVS
could then load-ballance the relays for you.

Greg