Re: mail farm?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mail farm?
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:40:06 +0800 (CST)
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Michael E Brown wrote:

> > > The above statement is correct.
> >
> > And if the machine for that MX record happens to be down, the MTA
> > will pick another MX record and try to deliver it there? (This has
> > to be true, I'm sure I read this in the Bat book).
>
> Yes. (As long as there _are_ multiple MX records :-)

I think that central load balancing is more efficient in resource
utilization than randomly picking up servers by clients, basic queuing
theory can prove this. For example, if there are two mail servers grouped
by multiple DNS MX records, it is quite possible that a mail server of
load near to 1 still receiving new connections (QoS is bad here), in the
mean while the other mail server just has load 0.1. If the central load
balancing can keep the load of two server around 0.7 respectively, the
resource utilization and QoS is better than that of the above case. :)

Regards,

Wensong