RE: mail farm?

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: mail farm?
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:06:46 -0700

> qmail + ezmlm + ezmlmIDX (uses MySQL, no idea if it can use Oracle)

ezmlm + ezmlmIDX are appropriate for mailings to customers?  I want the
setup to be a mailing to customers that have signed up for our newsletter.
It would certainly be a mistake to make it a standard-fare type list.  Is it
possible to customize ezmlm this way?

> Why do you want to use LVS, just get a big box, qmail+ezmlm
> can be made
> to do lots of outbound concurrent connections (500 +) on the right
> hardware, so you can process a huge list.

My mistake, I guess I've got these shiny new boxes setup with LVS on them
and I wanted to go ballistic and use them everywhere. HA for us all the way!
:)

My original concept was to get 2-3 SMTP boxes and load balancing outgoing
requests sent from somewhere to it.  I suppose the idea was too raw in my
own head to realize that the "somewhere" is kind of important and that this
idea wouldn't work!?

> I only see LVS as handy for in bound connection stuff, like HTTP, and
> FTP, why would you want to use LVS for an outbound orientated system
> like a mailing list ?
>
> Greg

Thanks for your time Greg & everyone