Re: LVS-HOWTO-1.4 is out

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-HOWTO-1.4 is out
From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:58:03 +0100
Hello,

What about building a pdf file with full index and keyword to search ? If
you want picture on LVS topology I can create some (like the one present
into the keepalived pdf file).

Best regards,

Alexandre

Peter Mueller wrote:

> What kind of things are still in the "to do" list on LVS-HOWTO that we
could
> help out on?

Thanks for offering.

I'm looking forward to your stuff about HA LVS, there's nothing
at all there and anything will be a good start.

Ratz has offered to send me stuff on security, this being
his job. He's also offered to re-edit the HOWTO, but
since we haven't decided how to do this, nothing's happening
there.

Ratz and I have talked about commenting the code so
casual people know what's going on. This seems a massive
project with no obvious benefits.

I'm in the process of adding iptables rules to the configure
script to lock the LVS down filter-wise. I'd be happy
to hear from anyone else who has done this. Presumably
I'll be coming up on the mailing list soon asking iptables
questions.

I'm happy to accept anything that anyone wants to send me.
Unsolicited contributions are welcome.

Occassionally I twist people's arms to get them
to contribute sections on things they've worked out.
Sometimes I just ask questions on the mailing list like
I've been doing with Michael Brown on the "mail farm"
thread.

In the meanwhile I'm running in update mode. Anything that
comes up on the mailing list by definition hasn't been
handled in the HOWTO. This stuff never seems to stop;
eg really simple stuff like the "mail farm" thread or dynamically
generated gifs which I would have expected to have
been handled in the early days are still waiting around
for us to fall over.

The HOWTO is large enough now that it's often hard to find the
answer. It can take me a while to find the location
of an answer to a question on the mailing list. I already
know it's in there because I wrote it - it must be harder
if you don't know that the answer is in there.
Hopeully this will get sorted out as people ask questions
and I re-organise the relevant sections.

The style is usually a short introduction on the topic and
then relevant credible postings from the mailing list with
the posters name/date. Presumably with a massive re-edit
the whole thing could be rewritten in text style to make
it easier to read. This is going to be real work.
I expect the names of the people that gave the answers will go
(which I don't really want to do, as now they're getting
credit for their ideas). I've also only tested about half
of what's in the HOWTO. Presumably someone
having trouble with one of the suggestions can go back
to the mailing list and figure out what might be wrong.
If the HOWTO was text-ified, I'd have to test everything.

There isn't an index and I don't know how to do it in sgml
I'd be happy for suggestions there. Currently you have to
use grep on the sgml to dig for something not in an obvious
location.