Re: LVS-HOWTO-1.4 is out

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-HOWTO-1.4 is out
From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:42:41 +0100

>can I do that in linux with GNU/opensource tools?

On freshmeat there is many utilities. I was using tex2pdf which is GPLed
(http://tex2pdf.berlios.de).
which convert tetex source into pdf file.

>What are the Linux Documentation Project's views on pdf?

Most of the HOWTO are present into pdf format. Most datasheet are
distributed in pdf.

In fact I am not focus on a certain doc file format but I observe that many
people use to download pdf file to read. Using that kind of format can
promote LVS to person coming for M$ world and interested in LVS. A quick
example : Most of the network architect presents in big companies use
constructor technology like CISCO/3COM.... All the documentation coming
from that kind of constructor are present into pdf format or in live html
reading. IMHO the complexity of LVS can be usefull in that big company, so
if user can access to documentation as they use to do this can help them
adopting LVS. I know it is a little ironic but in big companies network
architects are mostly focused on that kind of little details => This can be
considered as customer relationship :)

On the other hand, the .ps file can be read by acrobat. So....

>> If you want picture on LVS topology I can create some (like the one
present
>> into the keepalived pdf file).
>
>pictures would be a good idea - it has been too far
>over the other side of the horizon for me to consider
>putting it on a todo list. Do you have suggestions as to
>which part(s) should have images first and how the text
>could be changed to fit in with images? Would they
>be gif/png?

The pictures can be added in the html release. We can have txt/html/pdf
releases. Text docset must be really slim and strongly focused on to the
content. The other release html/pdf can incorporate pictures. Pictures for
global topology can be added for NAT/TUN/DR/FAILOVER.

Best regards,

Alexandre