LVS in Active Active configuration

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS in Active Active configuration
From: Malcolm Cowe <malcolm_cowe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:35:35 +0100
Hi,

I'm looking at various HA server solutions for a global project, and I'm
particularly interested in Linux solutions, since the use of commodity
hardware means we can create large, performance clusters for enterprise
applications.

On the subject of availability, I would like to be able to configure a
highly available Director for an LVS or similar cluster, but rather than
have an active node and an inactive hot-standby, I would prefer to have
this component work in an active-active configuration, so that the
Director can provide two services to the network.

By this I mean that there are two floating IP addresses, initially one
on each node, and users connect via these interfaces. If either node
should fail, the floating IP is migrated to the remaining node, keeping
the service active. This allows us to run two services from a single
cluster, and is a mechanism supported by other solutions such as HP's
MC/ServiceGuard.

My primary interest in LVS is to establish a generic framework for some
of our internal services that will readily scale with demand. In
particular, I'm looking at establishing HA WWW services, and also X
session access. The real servers in our X farm are likely to be HPUX
systems, which we will interact with through an LVS director. I would
also like to provide HA file services using Linux as the platform, but
other than Convolo (which is very similar to a 2 node ServiceGuard
cluster), there do not appear to be many other solutions for Linux as
yet. How suitable is LVS for providing NFS and SMB service to a network?

While I'm here, we're starting to roll out RH 7.1 systems on our
network. Are there any caveats with this platform when considering a
deployment of LVS or Vanessa based clusters?

--
Malcolm Cowe.
IT | Information Technology,    eMail: malcolm_cowe@xxxxxxxxxxx