problem with access_log & nfs on LVS setup

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: problem with access_log & nfs on LVS setup
From: "Webstream Technical Support" <mmusgrove@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:39:53 -0400
This is not a specific LVS problem, but I am hoping someone else has run
into this problem and solved it:
I am having a problem with my access_logs on a shared NFS directory in an
LVS setup.
I've got 1 host and 2 real servers. Each Real Server has the default Red Hat
Apache installation (ver 1.3.12-25).
Ive got the 2nd server acting as an NFS server serving out a directory
called /logs.
The 1st acts as a client and mounts that drive. I have apache on the 1st
card saving the access_log file for each site into that directory as
access1.log. The 2nd server saves it as access2.log in the same directory.
Our stats program on another server looks for *.log files in that directory.
The problem is that whenever I access a site (basically browse through all
the pages of a site), the 2nd card adds the access info into the access2.log
file and everything is fine. The 1st card saves it to the access1.log file
for a few seconds, then all of a sudden the file size goes down to 0 and its
empty.
Anyone know why this is doing this?
I feel I have everything set right. I can write to the directory from the
client no problem, and obviously so can Apache because the access1.log file
fills up (I've viewed the file right before it gets truncated to 0, so I
know it gets written to for sure).

Michael J. Musgrove
mmusgrove@xxxxxxxxxxxxx