Re: problem with access_log & nfs on LVS setup

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: problem with access_log & nfs on LVS setup
From: Alois Treindl <alois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:47:31 +0200
Webstream Technical Support wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> However, I have a shared directory setup and both Real Servers have their
> own access_log files that are put into that directory (access1.log and
> access2.log...i do it this way so the Stats server can grab both files and
> only use 1 license), so i dont think its a file locking issue at all. Maybe
> its an issue with NFS. I will upgrade and see what happens.
> Anyone know how to check the version # of NFS on Red Hat? rpm -q nfs does
> not work.
> thanks

Why do you think it is NOT a file locking problem?
On each realserver, you have a lot of httpd daemons running, and to
write
into the same file without interfering, they will have to use file
locking, to
get exclusive access.

If this files sits on a NFS server, and NFS file locking is buggy
(which I only
know as rumor, not as experience), then it might well be the cause of
your problem.

Why don't you keep your access_log local on each server, and rotate
them frequently,
to collect them on one server (merge-sorted by date/time), and then
use your
Stats server on it?

If you use separate log files anyway, I cannot see the need to create
them
on NFS. Nothing prevents you from rotating them every 6 hours, and you
will probably not need more current stats.