Re: WLC connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: WLC connections
From: Stuart Fox <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:35:12 +0100
"Matthew S. Crocker" wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
> > On 2001-05-30T15:00:57,
> >    Stuart Fox <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> >
> > > Does the WLC module account for memory usage or is it
> > > just load?  if not can it be made to do it?
> >
> > It accounts for whatever you use to compute the weight of the server.
>
> You can put in any weight you want,  I typically just use raw CPU power,
> everything else being equal.  The LVS with WLC counts the number of
> connections to each machine and load balances based on the least number of
> connections and the weight you assign each server.  LVS is LAYER 3 (IP)
> which means it doesn't know or care about HTTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, ... etc
> It doesn't know that one connection may be downloading a BIG image and
> another doing a massive database query that eats every last bit of RAM on
> the system.  As far as LVS is concerned they are just two connections
> lasting for a certain period of time.
>
> If all of your machines in the cluster are the same CPU/memory you should
> use the LC method of load-balancing because it is a bit faster.
>
> -Matt
>
> --
> Matthew S. Crocker
> Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
> PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
> Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com

Unfortunatley the realservers all different specs(bought as and when
needed),
some have >ram <cpu the newer ones tend to have <ram >cpu.  As i
understand it
WLC read my initial weight the dynamically changes it dependant on load.

Im no programmer but surely it wouldnt be that difficult to use a combo
of the
uptime and free commands instead of just uptime.

Stuart