Re: ipchains filter rules for the SuSE FTP Proxy,

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipchains filter rules for the SuSE FTP Proxy,
From: Alois Treindl <alois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:20:46 +0200
Yusseri Yusoff wrote:

> Do what I do, write a simple script as so:
>
> ------
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> ~/test/ipchains-script-test start
> sleep 30
> ~/test/ipchains-script-original start
>
> ------
>
> where the test script is what you're trying out. And the original script
> would restore you to your original setting. The sleep command gives you 30
> seconds to test things out and if you bugger things up, you'll just have
> to wait 30 seconds before trying again.

Isn't it a bit more complicated, when I am logged in from the outside?

Just running a script from the commandline has the danger that when my
connection is broken due to a bug in the test configuration, the
script
itself receives a signal and terminates, so that it will never
complete
and never set ipchains back to original.

Therefore the script must be run in the background, independent of a
controlling terminal, e.g. started by 'at now'

maybe even a cron command which restores accessible conditions every 2
minutes
would be a solution.