Re: Kind of Sticky Sessions

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Kind of Sticky Sessions
From: James CE Johnson <jcej@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:08:01 -0400
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:50:36 -0700, matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Hello All,
>
>  I have run into a problem with the persistant connection flag, I'm
> hoping that someone can help me. First off, I don't think there is
> anything like this out now, but, is there anyway to load-balance via
> URL? Such as http://www.matthew.com being balanced among 5 servers
> without persistant connections turned on, and
> http://www.matthew.com/dynamic.html being flagged with persistance?
> Second question is this; I don't exactly need a persistant connection,
> but I do need to make sure that requests from a particular person
> continue to go to the same server. Is there any way to do this?

We ran into something similar a while back.  Our solution was to create a simple
Apache module that pushes a cookie to the browser the when the "session" begins
(eg -- when no cookie exists).  The content of the cookie is some indicator of
the realserver.  On the second and subsequent requests the Apache module sees
the cookie and uses the Apache proxy mechanism to forward the request to the
appropriate realserver and return the results.