RE: lvs maintenance question

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: lvs maintenance question
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:07:46 -0700
hi,

> Being inexperienced on Linux and more inexperienced on LVS.
> Can someone
> tell me what maintenance issues a typical LVS server needs? I know I
> should keep up to date on all the bug fixes and keeping the firewall
> secure and all but what about monitoring programs for LVS. Can someone
> give me a list of programs they typically need and use on a production
> LVS?

I use a combination of bb, mon, and mrtg.  Although it is a pain to install
(especially when you are inexperienced at unix) you will learn a lot and
feel very confident by the time you get everything working.  Oh yes, and
then of course there is the "it runs forever and scales awesomely"
advantages that unix gives you.

> Also I ran across some program for checking LVS server
> performance. But
> I cant seem to find it now. Anyone know where some of that stuff might
> be?

check the archive or HOWTO for reference to LVSGSP (connects to mrtg for
tracking connection stats).  if you want I can send you /proc/stat parsing
shell/inetd script for tracking real CPU counters.