Re: LVS-DR, arp problem...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-DR, arp problem...
From: Christian Joelly <christian.joelly@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:45:05 +0100
Hello!

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:12:15PM -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:
> Christian Joelly wrote:
> >
> > now i have drawn my setup for easier understanding, i hope someone can
> > view "png" on his system :o)
>
> how did you do the image? I'm looking for some way to do the same thing.

i did it with "Dia" a small but powerful drawing tool similar with
kvivio. you can find it at http://gnome.org/gnome-office/

> > director: kernel 2.4.10 with ip_vs-0.9.6 patch
>
> > IP Virtual Server version 0.9.6 (size=4096)
> > Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
> >   -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
> > TCP  edvlvs1.knapp.intern:www wlc
> >   -> 192.168.100.2:www            Route   1      0          1
>
> most likely packets are not getting back from the realservers to the client.

yes, thats the problem i have :o)

> can you see packets for the VIP arriving on the realservers and none leaving
> (with tcpdump)?

yes, i can see the arp requests from the director to the realserver on
the private lan 192.168.100.x. and the realserver replys with the mac
address of his device eth1 (192.168.100.2) but i can not see what
happens to the packets on this device. i have setup an apache on the
realserver with a virtualhost on the VIP, but aoache dont get the
requests...

> the 2 NIC realserver seems to be setup correctly. I haven't done it this way
> for years, so I may have forgotten all the pitfalls. Maybe you could try it
> with
> 1 NIC on the realservers first.

jep.

> > mac address on the VIP device. i have read the examples that comes with
> > configure-lvs.pl, and there the client uses 2 NICs. in an real production
> > environment, does the client have to be changed to an router connecting
> > the 2 networks together?
>
> no the arrangment I use is just so I can change easily between a 1-NIC and a
> 2_NIC director.

ok. (it was confusing me a lot ;-))

> > befor i make the first connection to the VIP?
>
> yes. This also includes before the first arp request.

ok, i put the commands into /etc/network/interfaces:pre-up ...

thx.

Chris

--
KNAPP Logistics Automation  http://www.knapp.com
Ing. Christian Jölly        Tel/FAX: (++43) 316 / 495 1926 / 495 394