Re: SYN floods and LVS-NAT CPU Load

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SYN floods and LVS-NAT CPU Load
From: Radu-Adrian Feurdean <raf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:38:45 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Fabrice wrote:

> Hello Julian,
>
> Thanks for your answers. I still need a bit of explanations on the
> Fast Ethernet network :)
>

> > > I tought that FastEthernet was limited to about 8000 packets per seconds.
> > > How is it possible,
> >
> >         8000*1500bytes
> >
> >         Now check with 60-byte SYN packets. Then with X-byte UDP packets
> >where X is your average packet size
>
> For example, you mean that you can put 25 "60 bytes SYN packets"
> into one Ethernet frame? So you have about 8000*25 = 200'000 SYN

No. You have more frames. There's no frame rate on ethernet. Only bitrate (10,
100 or 1000 Mbps). Ethernet is not a synchronous protocol.

> packets/s? Are you sure? :)
> Each Ethernet frame has already the source and destination MAC
> address, and I don't think you can put multiple layer 3 packets in one
> layer 2 packet.

Forget that. It's stupid. Ethernet frames do _not_ have fixed length.

  Radu-Adrian Feurdean
mailto: raf (a) chez.com
Mama Prostilor e tot timpul gravida
(Mother of all stupid people is always pregnant)