SYN floods and LVS-NAT CPU Load

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SYN floods and LVS-NAT CPU Load
From: Fabrice <fabrice@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:50:13 +0100
Hello,

I made some tests and have some questions (2.4.16 + LVS 0.9.7, ipvsadm 1.20).

Syn Floods:
===========

I was testing my LVS-NAT system against SYN floods with Julian's testlvs program. At the paragraph 12.14 from the LVS-HOWTO, they are talking about sending 80'000 or
110'000 SYN per seconds over a 100 Mbps Ethernet network.

Julian's setup: "My tests show that I can't see a visible difference. We are talking
        about 110,000 SYN packets/sec with 10 pseudo clients and same cpu idle
during
the tests (there is not enough client power in my setup for full test), 2 CPUx 866MHz,
        2 100mbit internal i82557/i82558 NICs, switched hub".

I tought that FastEthernet was limited to about 8000 packets per seconds. How is it possible, even with 2 NICs, to reach 110'000 SYN packets per seconds? Is the testlvs program run
directly on the LVS box?

How to bypass this limitation? Gigabit Ethernet cards/network?

LVS-NAT CPU Load:
=================

I saw many times that the LVS-NAT requires a lot more computing power than DR and TUN, but my Pentium 166 / 60MB RAM director seems to be able to handle quite some traffic. I couldn't test at 100Mbps (because I have only 2 P166 Real Servers) but the load, even during the "testlvs" load, was only going up to about 10% (System/Kernel load).

Radu-Adrian's mail (about Tiscali's LVS) was saying that they mesured the load and came
to a "formula" that looked like this (For PIII @ 866MHz):

        CPU_Load[%] = 0.92 * Traffic[Mbps]

So for my 25Mbps traffic, that would mean a load of 23% for a PIII @ 866MHz, I let you convert
that for a P166 :)
Were they using a 2.2 kernel, and is there such a difference in performance between 2.2 and
2.4 kernels?

In the LVS-HOWTO, at the same paragraph as above (12.14), Julian says that TUN and NAT
overhead is negligeable?

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

Fabrice Bucher