Re: Routing and Topology

To: Thomas Robinson <tom.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Routing and Topology
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:14:40 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Thomas Robinson wrote:

> Hi
>
> In the LVS-HOWTO I found this topology for LVS-DR. I'm curious to know
> if each realserver *must* have it's own router? Can one use just one
> router? Can the realserver run routing software on itself to achieve
> this?

        All RSs can use same router.

        The main requirement is that the replies from the real servers (with
saddr=VIP) should not be visible to the routing software in the
director (the packets are dropped). You can safely forward the traffic
through the director only through the lower layers, for example, by
using bridging (Layer 2) or by using modified kernel that allows the
kernel to pass these replies (mentioned in the HOWTO).

> Also, may I infer from this diagram that each realserver must have two
> NIC's? How many switches will I need for this configuration? I also want

        The RSs can use one NIC

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>