Re: VRRP & sync_instance & low-level NIC monitoring (Was: Re: Redirect

To: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: VRRP & sync_instance & low-level NIC monitoring (Was: Re: Redirector project for FreeBSD)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:52:13 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Alexandre Cassen wrote:

> >better :) By this way you can know that two devices are
> >attached to same (shared) medium.
>
> Hmm... interresting I should watch more in this behaviour... But it makes
> me thinks : If kernel has medium knowledge : I there is a medium trouble
> this medium_id can change ? so that way we can detect transitivly that link

        Grr, no. This feature does not match the thread's subject :)
If the admin moves cables the medium_id values must be reconfigured.
This is a static mapping. You have to teach the kernel by hand :)
Then you can expect that remote broadcasts are received on all your
interfaces attached to this medium. May be you can avoid announcing
same VMAC through devices attached to same medium but I already don't
remember the issue. May be there can be specific policy for devices
attached to same hub, if you see something useful, of course, I already
forgot the VRRP terms and situation :) Just for FYI.

> is down and others hardware troubles .... I must read doc on this medium_id :)

> Thanks for pointing this,
> Alexandre

Regards

--