Re: 2.4 Hidden Patch

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.4 Hidden Patch
From: Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:18:29 -0600 (MDT)
I'm having a huge problem with my LVS mail cluster. The real servers
cannot connect to certain remote sites, even though other machines on the
same network with them can. I have traced the problem to the fact that,
after applying the hidden patch to a 2.4.18 kernel, the SYN packets for
outbound connections are being sent out with "SWE" flags set (as shown
by tcpdump). This seems to cause some remote machines not to treat it as
a SYN, and I see no response. Machines running a stock Red Hat 2.4.9-34
kernel, tcpdump shows only "S" set, and the connection works fine. This
is obviously some kind of kernel configuration problem, but I've got no
clue. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I have had so many problems getting this to work, I am under a whole
bunch of pressure to get things working. I'm about to go back to DNS
round robining for load balancing.

--Greg