Re: 2.4 Hidden Patch

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.4 Hidden Patch
From: Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 08:32:46 -0600
On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 00:28, Axel Dunkel wrote:

> It seems you have ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification) on which
> causes problems at some firewalls. You can turn it off in your kernel
> configuration or disable it with echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> (look whether it is enabled by cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn first)

Thank you Axel and Julian for the tip on ECN. I got the same tip from a
guy here, and sure enough that's it. Turning off ECN fixes the problem.

What I did when I applied the hidden patch was to take a vanilla 2.4.18
kernel, and configure it using one of Red Hat's provided config files, s
which must have ECN enabled by default even though their stock kernel
doesn't. I looked on one of my other Red Hat systems running their stock
2.4.9-34 kernel, and while /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn exists, it is set
to 0. Setting it to 0 on the systems with a compiled 2.4.18 kernel with
hidden patch has fixed this problem.

--Greg