Re: 2.4 Hidden Patch

To: Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.4 Hidden Patch
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:34:02 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Greg Woods wrote:

> I'm having a huge problem with my LVS mail cluster. The real servers
> cannot connect to certain remote sites, even though other machines on the
> same network with them can. I have traced the problem to the fact that,
> after applying the hidden patch to a 2.4.18 kernel, the SYN packets for
> outbound connections are being sent out with "SWE" flags set (as shown
> by tcpdump). This seems to cause some remote machines not to treat it as
> a SYN, and I see no response. Machines running a stock Red Hat 2.4.9-34
> kernel, tcpdump shows only "S" set, and the connection works fine. This
> is obviously some kind of kernel configuration problem, but I've got no
> clue. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

        ECN - Explicit Congestion Notification

http://www.icir.org/floyd/ecn.html

        The mentioned TCP flags:

W       CWR (Congestion Window Reduced)
E       ECN Echo Sent
S       SYN

> I have had so many problems getting this to work, I am under a whole
> bunch of pressure to get things working. I'm about to go back to DNS
> round robining for load balancing.

        I don't know why the hidden flag is related to ECN, may be
you enabled ECN in the kernel config?

CONFIG_INET_ECN: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

> --Greg

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>