Re: ipvsadm and kernel 2.2.22 and apache load balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipvsadm and kernel 2.2.22 and apache load balancing
From: Marc-Christian Petersen <m.c.p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:13:52 +0200
On Wednesday 23 October 2002 12:02, Julian Anastasov wrote:

Hi Julian,

>       Make sure you have installed the proper ipvsadm utility according
> to the IPVS version. The broken ipvsadm output is an evidence for
> wrong ipvsadm version used. The 2.2 and 2.4 kernels use its own version
> numbering. If you play on same box both with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels
> make sure each time to switch to the right ipvsadm utility according to
> the kernel version. You claim you compiled ipvsadm 1.15 but is it
> installed (ipvsadm -h)?
I have a wrapper script which looks up uname -r and if it's 2.2 it changes the
symlink to the proper ipvsadm for 2.2 and if it's 2.4, same to ipvsadm for
2.4 :)

ipvsadm -h|head -1
ipvsadm v1.15 2001/3/27 (compiled with popt and IPVS v1.0.8)

That's the version out of:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/ipvs-1.0.8-2.2.19.tar.gz

The kernel was patched with the patch included in the tarball above.
Anyway, the ipvsadm output now looks clear to me. I've rebooted the mashine
and after it ipvsadm was right (dunno why it wasn't before)

fw-rot:/tmp# ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port             Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.0.0.200:80 wlc
  -> 10.0.1.12:80                   Route   1      0          0
  -> 10.0.1.11:80                   Route   1      0          0
  -> 10.0.1.10:80                   Route   1      0          0

ciao, Marc