Re: Director Redundacy options? VRRP, heartbeat, ldirectord?

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Director Redundacy options? VRRP, heartbeat, ldirectord?
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:57:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Sean Knox wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>     I have been evaluating the various failover options as of late- I
> wanted to get other's opinions and the pros/cons of using one solution
> over another...namely, VRRP, heartbeat, and ldirectord. Currently we use
> heartbeat in production, and it works well. I'm curious to how well each
> of these will scale, and of course, the stability of each option. Any
> and all insight is appreciated- thanks!

I used to use heartbeat with a serial cable between my two directors.  I
have since rebuilt them and switched to keepalived/VRRP.  The both work, I
think I like keepalived/VRRP better.  I haven't had any stabilities
problems with either software package.  When I was rebuiling my LVS
directors I didn't think hearbeat was still being developed and keepalived
is still actively developed.

-Matt