Re: Reason for using LVS

To: Leonard Soetedjo <Leonard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Reason for using LVS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:46:20 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:

> Currently, I want to do a simple load balancing using round robin.  When a
> director forwards packet to a realserver and the latter is down, then the
> director should forward it to other realserver.  From reading the mailing

        There are tools that can do health checks and to modify
the IPVS configuration accordingly:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/index.html

        look at "Other software components for LVS"

        The decision to use particular real server, its weight, what
virtual servers to be configured, etc is taken from these tools.
Some users create scripts to reconfigure the LVS configuration
based on simple checks. It is up to you to decide what kind of
control is preferred and then to grab the right tool.

> list and HOWTO, this is not doable in LVS-DR?  Then should I implement
> everything in iptables only?  Would I be missing a lot of important (for a

        I don't remember iptables to have health checks builtin.

> HA) features of LVS?
>

> On Monday 28 October 2002 17:09, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm rather confused on the features of LVS, when comparing to iptables.
> > Assuming I'm interested in RR scheduling only, using iptables & iproute, it
> > should be able to do a L4 switching, isn't it?  I can't find any comparison

        Of course, you can do it

> > of iptables with LVS on google (That may be because I'm comparing apples to
> > oranges)...

        May be because nobody is using iptables for load balancing.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>