Re: Reason for using LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Reason for using LVS
From: Leonard Soetedjo <Leonard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:59:48 +0800
Hi,

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 17:46, Julian Anastasov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> > Currently, I want to do a simple load balancing using round robin.  When
> > a director forwards packet to a realserver and the latter is down, then
> > the director should forward it to other realserver.  From reading the
> > mailing
>
>       There are tools that can do health checks and to modify
> the IPVS configuration accordingly:
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/index.html
>
>       look at "Other software components for LVS"
>
>       The decision to use particular real server, its weight, what
> virtual servers to be configured, etc is taken from these tools.
> Some users create scripts to reconfigure the LVS configuration
> based on simple checks. It is up to you to decide what kind of
> control is preferred and then to grab the right tool.

I think my statement misled you to the problem of healthcheck.  My problem is,
since the VIP is doing forwarding, then if the realserver is down but the
healthcheck think it hasn't go down (because the healthcheck checks, let's
say every 500ms), will the connection be lost (i.e. the client need to
refresh the browser)?  I'm not an expert in this, so the answer might be so
obvious.  Is there anyway (other than changing the healthcheck to 10ms or
less, or having the client to refresh the browser) to make the director
forward it to another realserver?

Thank you very much.