Re: having trouble with load balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: having trouble with load balancing
From: Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:36:07 -0600
I am coming from an outside client. I mentioned being able to telnet to the port in question from the director just to prove that it can reach the specified realserver. I don't have a telnet server running. The server I'm trying to reach is a jabber server. I was only using telnet to test tcp connections, which aren't reaching the one realserver through the director.

Joseph Mack wrote:

Justin Georgeson wrote:

>ipvsadm -L shows this
>
>TCP  66.150.129.229:5222 wrr
>   -> 192.162.10.18:5222           Masq    1      0          0
>   -> 192.168.10.17:5222           Masq    1      0          0

fine so far.

>So I think it's configured right. My problem is that only 192.168.10.17
>is responding through LVS.

are you coming from an outside client?

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#gotchas

>I can telnet to port 5222 on both 17 and
>18 from the LVS box.

              ^^^^^^^

I presume you mean director here

this only tells you that something is listening on 5222, it doesn't tell
you anything about the setup of LVS (which you probably realise).

>After browsing through some of the documentation, the only thing I can
>come up with is DNS.

unlikely. LVS works with IPs only. You just have to be able to resolve the VIP.

Not sure what is going on here. What happens when you forward port 23 (telnet)?

Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.
http://www.unboundtech.com
Main   713.329.9330
Fax    713.460.4051
Mobile 512.789.1962

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)