IMAP and LVS problems

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IMAP and LVS problems
From: Ramon Kagan <rkagan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:51:22 -0500 (EST)
HI,

Linux 2.4.18
IPVS 1.0.4

Previously we had been using DNS shuffle records to spread the load of
IMAP connections across 3 machines.  Having used LVS for web traffic for a
long time now (about 2.5 yeras) we decided to bring our IMAP service into
the pool.  The imap servers have been setup to retain idle connections for
24 hours (not my choice but the current setup anyways).  The lvs servers have
been setup to have a persistance of 8 hours.  What has been happening
lately is that users get the following type error.

"The server has disconnected, may have gone down or may be a network
problem, try connecting again"

So, users don't have to reauthenticate per se, they just need to reclick
on whatever button, so that the client they are using reauthenticates
them.

Anybody have ideas on what is happening, this didn't occur prior to going
to LVS.

You help is much appreciated as usual,

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan@xxxxxxxx

I have not failed.  I have just
found 10,000 ways that don't work.