Re: IMAP and LVS problems

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IMAP and LVS problems
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:43:55 -0500
Ramon Kagan wrote:

> HI,
>
> Linux 2.4.18
> IPVS 1.0.4
>
> Previously we had been using DNS shuffle records to spread the load of
> IMAP connections across 3 machines.  Having used LVS for web traffic for a
> long time now (about 2.5 yeras) we decided to bring our IMAP service into
> the pool.  The imap servers have been setup to retain idle connections for
> 24 hours (not my choice but the current setup anyways).  The lvs servers have
> been setup to have a persistance of 8 hours.  What has been happening
> lately is that users get the following type error.

is "lately"

o after you moved IMAP to LVS
o something else

> "The server has disconnected, may have gone down or may be a network
> problem, try connecting again"

is this after 8hrs, 24hrs, or something else?

> So, users don't have to reauthenticate per se, they just need to reclick
> on whatever button, so that the client they are using reauthenticates
> them.
>
> Anybody have ideas on what is happening, this didn't occur prior to going
> to LVS.

I don't know how IMAP works -

does it keep a tcp connection open all the time or is each fetch a new
connection?

How is the state of authentication maintained between fetches?

there is a tcp timeout associated with tcp connections through LVS which
affects telnet, ssh sessions.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.services.html#timeout

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,