Re: IMAP and LVS problems

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IMAP and LVS problems
From: Ramon Kagan <rkagan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:05:37 -0500 (EST)
HI,

Thank you for your suggestions.  The solution:

On the linux imap servers the tcp-keepalive value in

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time is set to 7200

centaur# pwd
/proc/sys/net/ipv4
centaur# cat tcp_keepalive_time
7200

This must be matched by the ipvsadm tcp timeout.  So the options are to:

1.  use ipvsadm --set 7200 0 0 on the lvs server
or
2.  echo "900" >! /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

Either of these work.  I have not had any further problems with this since
I made the changes.  Maybe this could be appended to the TCP timeout issue
in the FAQ/DOCs for IMAP for future reference.

Thanks again for you help,

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan@xxxxxxxx

I have not failed.  I have just
found 10,000 ways that don't work.