Re: Some thoughts on Ldirectord...and heartbeat

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on Ldirectord...and heartbeat
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 08:11:50 +0900
On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 08:56:54PM +0000, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> I've had a few funnies with this :
>
> Sometimes ldirectord will terminate .. Is this due to un-handled signals ?

Needless to say it shouldn't happen. I would welcome any
information on why this is occuring so we can elimiate the bug.

> What is the best way to restart on failure ? I'm using an hourly cron
> job check  to restart on failure
> .. but could sub ld_handler_term be changed to auto restart ldirectord ?

Jacob recommends using daemontools. I recommend tracking down
the bug. Take your pick.

> Also if it does terminate why would you want to tear down the IPVS table ?
> I've remarked out the whole of ld_stop to do this,  maybee it should be
> a config option ?

That isn't such a bad plan. Though really it shouldn't crash so it
shouldn't be a problem.

> Slightly harder to track down but sometimes the ldirectord daemon is
> still running but seems to stop  responding to changes to the
> ldirectord.cf file ? I'm still working on whether it is checking the
> servers or not at this stage..
> I'm restarting it with a daily cron job to get round this .. anyone else
> had similar problems ?

I've heard some reports of problems with this. The ldirectord.cf
rereading code works by making a checksum of the file and rereading
it if the checksum changes. This should be pretty foolproof, but
perhaps there is a bug.

I am assuming you have autoreload = yes in the ldirectord.cf file
when you start up ldirectord.

> Heartbeat.. probably another mailing list for this but just in case ..
> sometimes this dies on both the slave and the master server whats the
> best way of doing an auto restart ? and has any one else had trouble ?

linux-ha-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is probably a good place.

Which version of heartbeat are you using? I have seen
problems with this too. 0.4.9e is currently the most
stable version of heartbeat IMHO.

--
Horms