Re: Apache Serving default host to some browsers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Apache Serving default host to some browsers
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:41:44 -0500
> Kernel 2.4.19 with NAT balancing. The balancing is working fine AFAICS.
> Apache is set up with name based virtual hosts
>
> The problem is this:
>
> In Mozilla our virtual hosts load up correctly, but in Internet Explorer
on
> my boss's computer it does not load properly (but in IE on my computer it
> works fine). I have to believe there is something stupid going on with the
> headers, but I can't figure out what it is. Basically what happens when
you
> go to the site in his browser it brings up the default host (the first
> virtual host in the httpd.conf file) instead of the ServerName it's
supposed
> to bring up. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? Any ideas on how
> fix it?

Is your boss running an old version of IE?  Does he have HTTP 1.1 turned
off?  AFAIK, the Host header isn't part of the 1.0 spec.  Is he accessing
the site by IP and not domain name?

Basically, Name Based Virtual Hosts look at the Host: header sent in the
request, and serves up content based on that.  If your boss' browser isn't
sending this header, or sending a Host header of just the IP address, then
he will get the default Host.

You may have to turn on some logging in Apache or start sniffing packets
(tcpdump works ok, I think there are better ones out there?) from your boss'
computer to see what's going on here.

If these are really critical domains, I would suggest moving to IP based
hosts.

-Jacob