RE: LVS Configuration

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: LVS Configuration
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:26:46 -0800
Hello Paul,

Please use "text-only" in your posts to mailing lists.  You'll get more

<snip>
I notice from the mini-HOWTO that one can use configuration scripts to
configure the LVS, which can then be used on both the Real Servers and the
Directors.  However these don't appear to be included in th ipvs tarball
(ipvs-1.0.6.tar.gz).  I did manage to find a configure-lvs_0.9.4.tar.gz but
based on the 0.9.4 I assume the scripts contained therein may be out of
date.  I also notice that elsewhere on the site it says something to the
effect that "our survey shows most of our users don't use the scripts".
Am I right in thinking the scripts are no longer maintained?  If not would
they still work with a 2.4.19 kernel?  What is the
</snip>

The configure-lvs & lvs versions version numbering are unrelated.  The
latest version of the configure-lvs script should come included in the LVS
tarball.  Configure-lvs should definitely work with either 2.4.19 or 2.4.20.
Since you are still in process of setting things up, you should use the
latest kernel instead of 2.4.19.  FYI Julian said he put up the latest
hidden patch (for 2.4.20) @ http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/.

Most users use either keepalived (http://www.keepalived.org) or
heartbeat+ldirectord (http://www.linux-ha.org) for their LVS setup.  Both of
these programs help automate the LVS setup quite a bit and are very good
long-term solutions.

Hope that helps,

Peter